We can't think of a more perfect way to start our F U E L E D F R I D A Y: watching the women's Olympic 10,000 meters final, eating double chocolate waffles + nutella cream and sipping on a freshly brewed cup of Handlebar coffee. We are stoked for the weekend!
This week our F U E L E D F R I D A Y feature is brought to you again by one of our dear friends, foodie and all around RAD creative chick, Michelle Battista. Michelle is a Creative Contributor to rabbit, Creator of Small Suppers, Owner of Stockpot Collective, 1/2 Owner of Ned Ludd, Proprietress of Elder Hall - - - Currently at home in sunny Portland, Oregon.
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- heaping 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped bananas or other fresh fruit
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes to curdle/activate. Then add melted coconut oil, agave nectar or maple syrup and whisk. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Test batter for sweetness and flavor. Add more sweetener if desired.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes while your waffle iron preheats. (I set mine to 4 out of 5 for a crispier waffle, but adjust yours according to preference.)
- Once waffle iron is ready, generously coat with non-stick spray and pour on about 1/2 cup of batter. Cook according to manufacturer instructions and then remove and place on a baking rack in a 200 degree oven to keep warm. Do not stack and instead keep them in a single layer to ensure crispiness remains.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings, such as fresh jam and more maple syrup. Store leftovers in a freezer safe bag and reheat in the toaster for best results. Will keep in the freezer for up to a couple months, although they're freshest within the first couple weeks.
Combine nutella and yogurt together in a bowl and whisk until combined.
Hope your weekend of training is successful!
Veg / V / GF / Paleo
Leave a comment