F U E L E D F R I D A Y: we know that many of you runners out there are vegan, vegetarian, or just enjoy eating plant-based every now and then. If that's you, then we have just the recipe for you - vegan roasted cauliflower tacos with chipotle romesco!
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Romesco
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Smoky, roasted cauliflower tacos with a spicy chipotle romesco sauce! An easy (30 minutes!) and flavorful plant-based meal that's versatile, healthy, and so satisfying!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entrée
Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired, Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serves: ~12 tacos
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into bite-sizes pieces (smaller pieces roast more quickly!)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) avocado or coconut oil (if avoiding oil, omit or sub with water)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic (12 g), skin on
- 1/4 cup (28 g) raw almonds
- 1 15-ounce (425 g) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 2 cloves raw garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil (or sub water)
- 1 lime, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (more for spicier sauce)
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- Lime juice / wedges
- optional: fresh cilantro optional: Thinly sliced red cabbage
- optional: pepitas
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and add cauliflower to 1 large (or 2 small) baking sheets. Add oil (or omit/sub water), cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Toss to combine and roast on the bottom rack for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
2. To a separate baking sheet, add raw almonds and the 4 unpeeled garlic cloves. Roast on the center rack for 10-12 minutes or until the almonds have started to brown/crack and the garlic is starting to get golden brown in color. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. While cauliflower finishes roasting, add drained, fire-roasted tomatoes to a high-speed blender along with almonds, roasted garlic (peeled), raw garlic (peeled), oil (or water), lime juice, paprika, cumin, salt, maple syrup, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
4. Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime for acidity, garlic for kick/zing, salt for saltiness, paprika or cumin for smokiness, maple syrup to offset heat/add sweetness, or chipotle peppers for more heat.
5. To serve, warm tortillas in the microwave or in the oven directly on the still-warm oven racks until pliable. Then add 1-2 Tbsp of the romesco sauce and a generous portion of cauliflower. Serve as is or garnish with lime juice/wedges, cilantro, cabbage, and/or pepitas (optional).
6. Best when fresh. Store leftover sauce in the refrigerator up to 1 week (or 1 month in the freezer), and the cauliflower in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat cauliflower in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven until warm (best when fresh).
Notes *Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 taco of 12 tacos without additional garnish (pepitas, herbs, etc.).
Serving size: 1 of 12 tacos without garnish Calories: 110 Fat: 5.4 g Saturated fat: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 14.4 g Sugar: 2.1 g Sodium: 107 mg Fiber: 2.7 g Protein: 2.5 g
Original recipe can be found here.