F U E L E D F R I D A Y is brought to you this week by our good friend, Robin at CaliGirl Cooking. Now that spring has arrived, we wanted to share with you a perfect spring recipe. Crunchy Pea Salad with Prosciutto is not only the quintessential spring dish, it’s also a perfect side to add to your Easter menu. And, Robin took the classic version of the recipe and lightened it up a bit!
This Crunchy Pea Salad with Prosciutto recipe uses mostly Greek yogurt for the “dressing” although we still throw in a teensy bit of mayo just to get that less tart, more savory flavor in there. We add shallots and garlic powder for that extra hit of flavor, and throw in some water chestnuts for some extra crunch. Crispy prosciutto saves the day (of course) and adds the saltiness we need to make this the perfect trifecta of flavors. And if you’re fretting about obtaining the peas, have no fear because frozen is definitely the way to go. Difficulty level = 0. So, go ahead and make this spring classi and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 slices of prosciutto, diced
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium. Add shallots and sauté until they begin to become fragrant. Add prosciutto. Stir over medium heat until prosciutto begins to crisp. Remove shallots and prosciutto to a small plate covered with a paper towel to drain and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine prosciutto and shallots, peas, water chestnuts, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic powder and salt. Stir to combine. For best results, let sit in refrigerator for an hour or so to give all of the flavors a chance to meld.
Eat and enjoy!!
(Original recipe can be found here.)