Recipe courtesy of Jason Gandzjuk of the Specialized Exercise Coaching. Visit him on Instagram @specialized_exercise_coaching for more recipe ideas or reach out to him for healthy coaching, pantry makeovers, and more online at www.specializedhealthandexercise.com.
Fueled Friday: Sweet Potato Soup
Have sweet potatoes and looking for a way to use them up on a cold, rainy weekend? This carrot and sweet potato soup is creamy, and nourishing to our bodies. The recipe can also easily be modified to become vegan or vegetarian, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Serves 4 and total cook time is just 35 minutes.
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and seasonings. Stir and add the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
3. Transfer the soup to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
4. Add back to the large pot and add coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Optional, drizzle molasses and top with raw pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!