F U E L E D F R I D A Y is brought to you this week by our friend Annmarie, the FitFoodieMama. You have to check our her awesome blog filled with amazing recipes perfect for runners!
Inspired by the Dr. Seuss book, Green Eggs and Ham, this is a healthy way to enjoy "green eggs"! It might seem like a strange combination at first but eggs and pesto really do taste rather well together. In fact, it might even taste amazing with ham (or better yet, bacon too) but to keep it simple (and meatless), in this recipe we skip the pig and serve it straight up egg and pesto-style, which really offers all the flavors it needs.
The eggs themselves are just simply made sunny side up and the pesto consists of just kale, parsley, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
If you prefer the extra tang of parmesan, you can add some in (or find a dairy free version) but the recipe is pretty darn good as is.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup curly parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, kale, parsley, and salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add in pine nuts and pulse again until smooth and combined.
- Prepare eggs sunny side up or however you’d like.
- Spoon on top of eggs and serve alongside ham, bacon, sausage or vegetarian side of choice.
You can find the original recipe here! Enjoy!