F U E L E D F R I D A Y: when in doubt, make a smoothie. A smoothie is kind of perfect for everything: pre-run fuel, post-run fuel, a meal substitute, a perfect snack, and even a scrumptious dessert! But, most smoothies call for a banana, and interestingly enough, not everyone loves bananas (yeah, crazy, we know). So, if you are looking for a great, no-banana smoothie recipe, here you go!
Gingery Mango & Berry Smoothie
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 2 1/4 cups (271 g) frozen chopped mango (if fresh, add 1 cup ice)
- 1 1/4 cups (207g) frozen raspberries and/or strawberries
- 1 cup (240 ml) light coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 lime (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml), juiced
- 2 Tbsp (~15 g) fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp (5g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- optional: scant 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper
- optional: 1-2 Tbsp (~10g) protein powder of choice or hemp seeds
FOR SERVING optional
- Coconut yogurt or full-fat coconut milk
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Hemp seeds
INSTRUCTIONS1. To a high-speed blender add mango, berries, coconut or almond milk, lime, ginger, shredded coconut, cayenne pepper (optional), and protein powder of choice (optional).
2. Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If it has trouble blending, add more coconut, almond milk, or water.
3. Serve as is or layer with coconut yogurt or milk and top with desired toppings. I prefer berries, hemp seeds, and coconut flake.
4. Enjoy fresh or refrigerate leftovers for 3 days. Or store in the freezer (as a smoothie or Popsicles) up to 1 month.
Original recipe can be found here. Happy fueling everyone!